Mar 2, 2008

Other horizons


Up until a few years ago, I used to be interested in all kinds of music, besides opera. Now, I find it hard to feel passionate about new pop albums for instance. Everything is so unoriginal, so plagiarized from far greater bands with far more identity. Those twenty-something bands all sound like Joy Division, Blur, David Bowie, The Cure, Depeche Mode or even Siouxsie and the Banshees, do they not? I find myself so blasée that I don't listen to any album of pop music anymore. I shouldn't.
Thanks to Juno [that I only saw originally because I have this crush on Allison Janney], I've rediscovered Belle and Sebastian's Tigermilk LP (1996) and was reminded of their unique, contrasted and strangely familiar universe. There are wonders of the past to be listened to again. I should really try exploring my own CD collection more for starters...
Most liked songs: 2. Expectations 5. Electronic Renaissance

On the technical note, I can't emphasize enough how great it is to have a sound recording of this quality. Listening extensively to old recordings or MP3s, I guess I had forgotten about progress.

No comments: