Nov 9, 2008

Faustus by Dusapin


Pascal Dusapin
Faustus, the last night

France 3 broadcast Nov.9, 2008
Live performance from the Opéra de Lyon (March 2006)  
DVD also available of the same run in Lyon

For someone like myself deeply attracted to harmony, this is not an easy opera.

Organized cacophony is how I would describe the score; as for the vocal lines, Dusapin turned singing into eructation, adding to my desperate confusion.

The quintessential idea of Peter Mussbach's staging (after all, this was a co-production with Berlin's Staatsoper Unter den Linden so no surprise to see him direct this production) may be brilliant - this giant clock placed at a 30-degree angle is indeed very powerful - but the action being so nonexistent, the final result is a static staging where nothing is happening - forcing you to focus on Dusapin's music and libretto.
Reviews of the NY Times and ResMusica (in French).

8 comments:

Mauro Silva said...

Your blog is amazing!!!

but I can't download the mp4 files correctly...can you help me posting new files for download? Thank you very much!

Extatic said...

I'm afraid I have deleted them...

Mauro Silva said...

oh...what bad luck! if you could post that files again, i will be very grateful; if you couldn't, don't worry.

Thank you!

Ragnar said...

Thank you for making this available - I was interested to read your comments since I personally found this opera to be rich, exciting and compelling. Simply is a matter of each to his or her own taste. I listen to a great deal of contemporary opera as well as the more traditional repertoire.

I would be so excited if someone had made a similar capture of Emmanuel Nunes Das Maerchen which was on Portuguese TV a while back and could put it up. This is also modern opera and is as far as I know not available on DVD - (If Portugeuese TV are reading please please consider this option!).

Finally Igor, I had no trouble downloading, joining and viewing. May I suggest trying again, finding HJSplit on the net, and joining the four files together before trying to view. The files are all fine.

Extatic said...

Ragnar, the audio file of Emanuel Nunes' opera is available here:
http://www.opera-collection.net/uploadsoutsidemet.htm#nunesmarchenlisbonne

I'm afraid the video files cannot be found ...

Ragnar said...

Extatic - just saw the link to the audio of Das Märchen thank you thank you so much.

SomethingWentWrong said...

Could you re-upload the video, please? Links are dead. Thanks!

Extatic said...

I'm afraid I don't have the videos anymore...