Jan 21, 2007

Marcello Giordani



This morning, reading the New York Times feature about tenor Marcello Giordani by Matthew Gurewitsch, I was wondering how it could be possible I had never heard about such a great tenor, as Peter Gelb, the Met’s general manager, calls him “one of our most important singers.”

So I rushed to YouTube to hear this memorable singer.

Here he is in Rossini's Guillaume Tell (in French, Paris 2003)


Older performances:

Rehearsal of Meyerbeer's Les Hugenots with Krassimira Stoyanova (New York, 2001)

Duet with Rene Fleming from Bellini's I Puritani (1991 concert)
Cavatina "Nel furor delle tempeste" & Caballetta "Per te di vane lagrime" (Act 1) from Bellini's I pirata (Catania, 1993)




He's so inconsistent in these performances, don't you think?
One minute great, the other awful.
And that's one of the most important singers of the MET for years to come?

No wonder they also love Anna Netrebko...


No comments: