Oct 21, 2006

Scala collection on DVD

I am one of those crazy fanatic opera fans who would much rather listen to an opera than watch it on DVD. I don't care about anything else than the singing and the music, let alone the fact I don't own a TV set, never have and probably never will. On the other hand, I am the proud owner of an exquisite CD player (CD 3D Lab Sonata), a pair of incredible speakers (JM Reynaud Trente) and a pretty good amplifier (NAD 312) that is 10 years old now but that I just can't throw away. So I buy CDs. Not DVDs. By the way, the Liceu extract of La Gioconda (Ponchielli) is part of a DVD just released by TDK. But how can I not buy DVDs released by Il Teatro alla Scala, conducted by Riccardo Muti, for a prize so low you wonder if you're just not dreaming awake: €5.99 (thank you Gibert Joseph)? So, I got I vespri Siciliani (Verdi) and La Donna Del Lago (Rossini).

But I didn't buy Attila (Verdi) or Guglielmo Tell (Rossini) 'cause you know what? I already own these Muti recordings ... in CD.

No comments: