- Don't make up Faust as an elderly cripple only to rejuvenate him as a flamboyant young man at the end of the act I.
- Don't display the catholics' rites too ostentatiously (death of Valentin, church scene, final scene "Christ est ressussité").
- Don't make Méphistophélès stand on a wooden barrel for the "Veau d'Or" aria.
- Don't portray Valentin provoking Méphistophélès with a crucifix ("C'est une croix" aria).
- Jewels aria: no literal or derivative version of a golden/silvery jewels box should appear onstage.
- Walpurgis Night: don't show semi-naked women or imitate in any way the Bacchus iconography.
- Final scene: don't make Marguerite wear a white immaculate frock, don't tie her with long ropes or chains cemented on the wall and ask her to adopt the position of crucifixion.
- Don't dress Méphistophélès in red.
- Don't dress Marguerite in any "purity" colours: white, light blue, light pink.
- Don't dress the chorus with XIXth century military uniforms.