Jun 3, 2008

Opera rara



Because I love "almost beyond-obscure operas", especially XIXth century French rarities, I am one of the only few eagerly waiting for the Summer release of the recording (video extracts there, click on Videotrailer at the bottom of the page) of Gounod's La Nonne Sanglante recreated last January in Osnabrück (Germany), by CPO (who else knows that, seriously?).

In that line of unseen/unheard/unknown operas, Intermezzo just came back from Zürich where Halévy's Clari was recreated in May (mainly due to the obstination of Cecilia Bartoli), with some clues about the score, the libretto and of course the performance.
Other reviews: ResMusica (in French), Diapason (also in French), International Herald Tribune.

Now, who would be kind enough to schedule my all-time favorite in that category, Donizetti's L'assedio di Calais?
Anyone?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I am waiting for La Nonne Sanglante too, and I wanted to know if you have an idea when it will be published this summer?

Thank you for your blog!

Extatic said...

Very good question indeed.
I read somewhere (but where exactly I can't remember) that it should be released at the end of July.

My best advice would be to check CPO's website regularly.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this answer... I read it also...
I don't find the CPO's website. Do you have an url?

I am verry happy ti see that I am not lonly to wait for this recording.

Extatic said...

Link above in the post...

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is the link to the CPO's products on JPC... but I thought thant there was a web site of CPO...

Extatic said...

If there is one, I haven't found it. So I'm either suddenly very bad at searching on the internet or it doesn't exist...

Anonymous said...

I have send an email to CPO and here is the answer :
"now we just produced this opera of Gounod, but it will take some time,
until we will get the ready edited tape and the booklet notes etc., so we don't have a fixed release date until now, we hope to release it at the beginning of 2008, but kindly ask again in some months"

So, I think that it is the beginning of 2009... but the good new is that it is sure that it will be released!!

Extatic said...

Thank you sooo much for the info Pierre!

... and the bad news is we'll have to wait for several months...

Anonymous said...

For Polyeucte, it was one year too after the recording...

So, we have to wait... but we know that it will be release and this is a good news!

Pierre said...

Good afternoon...
Since July, I wrote some mails to CPO, but I have no news about the release...

Do you have more chance than I?

Extatic said...

I'm afraid I haven't.
But I'm not desperate yet and I keep the faith!

Pierre said...

Some news : it will be published this year...

But the good news is that it is not canceled!

Extatic said...

Thanks for the update!

Pierre said...

Some news : It could be released in february/march 2010...

Extatic said...

And again, thanks for the news Pierre.
Hope they'll actually do it this time...

Pierre said...

This time, we have the date : the 26th April... It is now on JPC.de

Extatic said...

Can't wait...